Historic and Christ-Centered
The foundational convictions of Trinity Church of Benicia are articulated in the cardinal doctrines of the historic Christian faith, expressed by the early creeds (e.g., Apostles Creed, Nicene-Constantinople Creed). We believe these doctrines express the central truths revealed in Scripture regarding the Triune God and His works of creation and redemption, particularly as they confess the centrality of the Person and saving work of the Mediator Jesus Christ.
Further, we hold to those convictions which were recovered by the reformers in the 16th century Protestant Reformation, expressed in the Solas of the Reformation
Sola Scripture (Scripture Alone)
We believe that the Scripture alone is our ultimate authority for faith and practice, since it alone is without error and God-breathed. The Word of God through the power and work of the Holy Spirit is sufficient for all things pertaining to life and godliness (2 Timothy 3:16)
Sola Gratia (Grace Alone)
We believe that all have sinned in Adam’s disobedience and therefore, stand condemned before God and have wholly lost all ability of will to perform any spiritual good necessary for salvation. Therefore, in the salvation of sinners, the convicting, regenerating work of the Holy Spirit is absolutely necessary. Salvation is entirely of the grace of God and is not caused by any merit of our own or from anything foreseen in man (Ephesians 2:8-9; Titus 3:5)
Sola Fide (Faith Alone)
We believe that sinners are justified by faith alone and not by works in addition to faith. Yet, the faith by which we are saved is a living faith which works through love. This living faith is empowered by the Holy Spirit who indwells every believer. As a result, the Christian is enabled to live a godly life, minister in the Body of Christ, and share the Gospel with any who will hear (Romans 3:28)
Solus Christus (Christ Alone)
We believe in the deity and full humanity of our Lord Jesus Christ, in His virgin birth, in His sinless life, in His miracles, in His vicarious and atoning death through His shed blood, in His bodily resurrection, in His ascension to the right hand of the Father, in His present, as well as future victorious kingdom, and in His personal, visible return in power and glory.
By His fulfillment of the Law and obedience unto death on the cross, He did fully discharge the debt of all those that are justified by faith in Him. There is salvation in no one else since His work and merit alone provide for our righteousness before a holy God; not by infusing righteousness in us, but by pardoning our sins, and by accounting and accepting us as righteous in Christ (Acts 4:12)
Soli Deo Gloria (To the Glory of God Alone)
We believe that there is one God, eternally existent in three Persons; Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. He is all-powerful and all-knowing. Because he is the author and finisher of our faith, it is our ultimate and overarching purpose to glorify God and enjoy Him forever. Every act in the life of the church and each individual Christian is to be brought under His lordship and carried out to His glory (1 Peter 4:11)
As a part of our cooperation and affiliation with the Southern Baptist Convention, we affirm the Baptist Faith and Message (2000)
Summary Statement of Faith
- We believe the Bible to be the only inerrant Word of God. It is our only authoritative rule for faith and practice.
- We believe that there is but one true, eternally existing God. This unique God is Triune, being one in essence and yet existing, ever, and always, in three Persons — The Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. He is the Creator, Sustainer, and Governor of everything that has been made.
- We believe in the true deity and full humanity of our Lord Jesus Christ, in His virgin birth, in His sinless life, in His miracles, in His vicarious and atoning death through His shed blood, in His bodily resurrection, in His ascension to the right hand of the Father and in His personal return in power and glory.
- We believe in the full deity of the Holy Spirit, acknowledging Him together with the Father and the Son as Creator and Redeemer.
- We believe that because of Adam's sin all mankind is in rebellion against God. For the salvation of such lost and sinful men, regeneration by the Holy Spirit is absolutely necessary.
- We believe that salvation is by grace through faith alone in Christ alone, and that faith without works is dead.
- We believe in the present ministry of the Holy Spirit, by whose indwelling the Christian is enabled to live a godly life.
- We believe in the spiritual unity of all believers in our Lord Jesus Christ.
- We believe in the resurrection of both the saved and lost; those who are saved to the resurrection of life and eternal joy, and those who are lost to the resurrection of damnation and everlasting punishment.
God the Father and God the Holy Spirit are the most Christ-centered persons in the universe, and all of our theology, teaching, ministry, counseling and outreach are centered on the supremacy and sufficiency of the Lord Jesus Christ. We desire ministry that is Father-glorifying, Christ-centered, and Spirit-empowered.
The Sufficiency of Scripture
The Bible is the foundation for all ministry and sufficient, in conjunction with the Holy Spirit and the body of Christ for every spiritual or emotional problem. Therefore, we desire to take the sufficiency of our Savior, seen in the Scriptures, and apply it to the needs of church.
The Doctrines of Grace
We have a great love for the sovereignty of God in salvation and long to see Christ’s sheep hear the voice of the Good Shepherd through the ministry of our church. As a result, the heart of the Gospel is a message of justification by grace alone through faith alone in Christ alone to the glory of God alone.
Life directed by the Spirit in both belief and action within the context of Scripture. Because we are New Covenant people of God, we seek to grow in the implications of our union with Christ. This means the Christian’s new identity is the foundation and the Gospel is the basis for becoming like Jesus by the Spirit, and holiness is the fruit of our communion with God.
Community as a Priesthood of Believers
We want to provide a robust discipleship that equips all of the church in their knowledge, affections and actions to serve in the ministry for which they are called and gifted. Therefore, every member should be committed to sharing the Gospel and making disciples through loving, sacrificial, compassionate care for one another.
Every person has inherent dignity because they are created in the image of God. Therefore, we desire to give a free offer of the Gospel to anyone who will listen in the hopes that they will be saved.
We desire to live our lives in the community of Benicia with gospel intentionality (thinking of ourselves as missionaries in our zip code), including ministry to the poor and needy, and the widows and orphans.